We’ve been so focused on getting ready for this school year that I almost forgot to give reviews on how last year went! When I was going back over my kids portfolios and writing up their “Letter from the Teacher” (an overview of their progress for the year) I began to reflect on our favorite activities of the 2012-2013 Homeschool Year. It’s hard to narrow it down but I think these were our Top 5 Picks:
1. Reading Camp-outs: This was sucha a hit that I wrote a whole separate post on it. You can read all about it here: https://2livelovelearn.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/reading-campout/
2. Author Your Own Book: This project was so fun- we want to do it again this year! First we talked about story basics. Then over the course of about a week the kids made up their story, illustrated it, and we glued and stapled and Voila! A book was born! More to come on an upcoming post!
3. My Favorite Book Week: Each of the kids picked a favorite book and we based many of the school activities off of that book……more to come in an upcoming post!
4. Monarch Field Trip: This was probably MY favorite of the year. To finish a unit in science on butterflies we went to see the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuaries in Morelia, Mexico. FANTASTIC! You can read and see more about our trip here: https://2livelovelearn.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/monarch-magic/ AND HERE: https://2livelovelearn.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/fear-team-spirit-and-mountains/
5. Service Projects: Although not as many as we would like, we did some service projects that I think really stuck with us. I think our two favorites were building toys and puppets for an orphanage and making goodies for some families we knew were having a hard time. We did the second one several times but here is a post on one: https://2livelovelearn.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/serve-up-some-sweetness/ We are really hoping to find creative ways to do more of these, it’s a bit more complicated with small children…..So any input and ideas would be very welcome!